Saturday, September 5, 2009

It never rains but it pours, right?

Yesterday, I expected a typical Friday. Work, school with younger kids, pick up Bigger Girl and Neighbor Boy from school, rush to make a quick supper before leaving to get them and serve the moment I get home so I can rush over to cat rescue shelter and do my shift feeding and cleaning up after kitties. Laundry and cleaning and usual stuff in the middle. Not much going on. Cat shelter has not been overly full the last couple of weeks, and I expected typical amounts of mayhem there, nothing more.

Well, I got Sweetie home in bed with back trouble. Then work, school with younger kids, laundry was on the line, stuff was getting done, sent Sweetie to pick up Bigger Girl and Neighbor Boy from school while I made dinner. So far, a bit off with Sweetie home, but not so bad. Then. Middle of cooking labor intensive dinner, just as Sweetie gets home with Bigger Girl, yelling from downstairs; foster kitten that is just weaning decides to try to crawl under a door and gets her head stuck.

Much commotion ensues. Figure out there is no way to gently slide her head out. Try to hold her still, send other kids to turn off stove, and Sweetie to get tools. Take door off hinges, get crazy cat out from under door. Get back to dinner, which is now cold, and get it going again. Serve dinner, rush out the door as I get call from cat shelter coordinator -- "Where are you this evening?" Explain situation and get going.

Find the shelter back to early summer conditions, meaning overfull and with lots of cats needing labor intensive care and medicines. Get home an hour later than usual to home mayhem.

Did I also mention that while in the middle of cooking dinner, I fielded a phone call from our Children's Pastor about solving a problem we are having in the Children's Ministry?

Oh, and yesterday there was no rain in the forecast. None. And there were only these light, fluffy white clouds all around, very few in a big blue sky and very pretty indeed. Except. One Huge Black As It Could Be Cloud Right Over My House. Light, almost not to be felt, but you could barely feel it, rain. On the clothes on my line. While I was cooking dinner.

I got to see the Beautiful Full Corn Moon a/k/a Harvest Moon last night like I wanted. From the alley behind the cat shelter as I took out the trash.

Some days, you just shoulda stood in bed.


Today is:

Be Late For Something Day (I was early celebrating this one, I got it out of the way yesterday!)

Circensian Games begin -- Ancient Roman Calendar

Great Canadian Beer Festival

National Cheese Pizza Day

National Day, Western Samoa

Regatta Day, Malta

St. Laurence Gustiani's Day

St. Zacharias' Day

Wag and Carrot Fancying Day -- Fairy Calendar


Birthdays Today:

Cathy Guisewite, 1950
Raquel Welch, 1940
Carol Lawrence, 1934
Bob Newhart, 1929
Arthur C. Nielsen, 1923
John Cage, 1912
Darryl F. Zanuck, 1902
Jesse James, 1847
Johann Christian Bach, 1735


Today in History:

Hernan Cortez and his men fight the Tlascala Aztecs in the Second Battle of Tehuacingo, Mexico, 1519
Peter the Great of Russia imposes a tax on beards, in an attempt to Westernize his people, 1698
The First Continental Congress is assembled in Philadelphia, 1774
The First Opium war begins in China, 1839
Sioux Chief Crazy Horse is killed, 1877
The First Labor Day Parade is held in NYC, 1882
The first gasoline pump is delivered to a gasoline dealer in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, 1885

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for meandering by and letting me know you were here!
Comments on posts more than a week old are moderated.
If Blogger puts your comment in "spam jail," i'll try to get it hauled out by day's end.