Thursday, October 22, 2009

Bothering...

"Make a list of things that are bothering you. If you can't think of anything, you are probably bothering a bunch of other people!" Peggy Jones.

I am impressed by this philosophy.

If I spend my time working on the things, big and small, that are bothering me, things that it must be my job to work on, then I won't have time to be bothering other people.

Big things, like world hunger, spousal abuse, and all the bad news that just seems to be everywhere. How to combat these? I can start gathering stuff for the Samaritan's Purse Christmas Box and gather items to donate for the thrift sale that benefits a couple of local charities.

Small things, like paperwork I haven't done yet, that I keep putting off until I have a big block of time to deal with it (like that will happen when I homeschool and have a small business and have to keep up with housework and laundry and meals...). I can spend 10-15 minutes working on the papers.

If I spend my time working on these things, I won't have time to irritate other people.

Now, if only I could teach this trick to my brother-in-law, The Mouth.


Today is:

Caps Lock Day

Chung Yeung, Hong Kong

Festival of the House of Mercy

Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival begins, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.

International Stuttering Awareness Day

Jidai Matsuri, Japan (Festival of the Eras)

Make a Difference Day

National Barber's Day

National Holiday, Vatican City

National Nut Day

St. Abercius' Day

St. Mary Salome's Day


Birthdays Today:

Brian Boitano, 1963
Jeff Goldblum, 1952
Deepak Chopra, 1946
Catherine Deveuve, 1943
Annette Funicello, 1942
Tony Roberts, 1939
Christopher Lloyd, 1938
Timothy Leary, 1920
Joan Fontaine, 1917
Curly Howard, 1903
N. C. Wyeth, 1882
Sarah Bernhardt, 1844
Franz Liszt, 1811


Anniversaries Today:
Toastmasters International founded, 1924


Today in History:

The temple of Apollo at Daphne, outside of Antioch, is destroyed in a mysterious fire, 362
Emperor Kanmu relocates Japanese capital to Heiankyo (now Kyoto), 794
Battle of the Southern Fujian Sea, Ming Dynasty wins a victory against the Dutch East India Company, 1633
Princeton University is chartered, 1746
Andre-Jacques Trim becomes the first sky diver, parachuting over Paris from a balloon, 1797
Sam Houston is inaugurated as the first President of the Republic of Texas, 1836
First telegraph line linking US east and west coasts is completed, 1861
First concert performance of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, 1881
World's first automobile dealer opens in London, 1897
President Hoover gives the "American system of rugged individualism" speech, 1928
The FBI ambushes Pretty Boy Floyd, 1934
First commercial flight from the mainland to Hawai'i, 1936

1 comment:

  1. Good Morning, My sister and her son in Indiana always work on the shoebox ministries each year. My husband and I donate to the local charity here in our county that helps to feed the hungry. As for paperwork, the older I get the more I dread it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for meandering by and letting me know you were here!
Comments on posts more than a week old are moderated.
If Blogger puts your comment in "spam jail," i'll try to get it hauled out by day's end.