Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Older Person on Older People, a Random and Happy Tuesday Post

***********************************






It's time once again for a random and happy Tuesday, linking up with Stacy's Random Thoughts at Stacy Uncorked and Sandee at Comedy Plus.  



Ms. D threw me for a loop the other day.  She said, “I was out shopping, and did you ever notice all the old people go out shopping at a certain time in the morning?  I mean, I know I’m an old people, too, but have you ever noticed?”


I told her i was usually working at the time she was speaking of, and she continued.


“Well, anyway, I went to the Post Office to mail something and there was this other old lady, or I should say older lady, I need to be nice, and she wanted to chat with me so I let her, sometimes people just need someone to talk to, and I must say I was much better looking than her, I’m sorry I just had to say it!”


She laughed, and i smiled and then i finished mopping the floor.


How about some funnies.














Have a blessed and beautiful Tuesday, everyone!






***********************************



Today is:


Armed Forces Day -- Egypt


Earthquake Remembrance Day/Commemoration Day -- Turkmenistan


Garlic Lovers Day -- internet generated, unofficial, and delicious


Ivy Day -- Ireland (death anniversary of Irish nationalist leader and Home Rule advocate Charles Stewart Parnell)


Jackie Mayer Rehab Day -- Sandusky, OH, US (anniversary of renaming the local rehab hospital after Sandusky's "favorite daughter", Jackie Mayer, Miss America 1963 and stroke survivor, now advocating on behalf of stroke survivors)


Mad Hatter Day -- US (second crazy day in the year, to balance April Fool's Day, and based on the 10/6 on the Mad Hatter's hat in Tenniel's drawing; in English-speaking countries where the day precedes the month in notation, it is celebrated on June 10)


National German-American Day -- US (anniversary of the disembarking of the first German immigrants to Pennsylvania in 1683)

     German Pioneer Day -- Pennsylvania


National Noodle Day


National Physician's Assistant Day -- US (anniversary of the first graduating class of physician assistants from Duke University on this day in 1967


Nobel Conference 62 -- Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN, US (annual two-day symposium, this year's topic, the Mississippi River)


St. Bruno's Day (Founder of the Carthusian Monks; Patron against demonic possession)


St. Faith's Day (Patron of pilgrims, prisoners, soldiers)


Tishreen Liberation War Day -- Syria



Anniversaries Today:


Elizabeth Taylor marries Larry Fortensky, 1991

American Library Association founded in 1876



Birthdays Today:


Jimmy Sisto, 1974

Elisabeth Shue, 1963

David Zucker, 1947

Britt Ekland, 1942

Thor Heyerdahl, 1912

Carole Lombard, 1908

Janet Gaynor, 1906

Helen Wills Moody, 1905

Florence Seibert, 1897

Le Corbusier, 1887

Karol Szymanowski, 1882

George Westinghouse, 1846

Jenny Lind, 1820



Debuting/Premiering Today:


Instagram(launched by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger), 2010

"CSI: Crime Scene Investigation"(TV), 2000

"The Gin Game"(Play), 1977

"I Hear a Symphony"(Supremes single release), 1965

"The Mousetrap"(Mystery play), 1952 (still being performed)

The Jazz Singer(Film, the first "talkie"), 1927




Today in History:


The Cimbri inflict the heaviest defeat on the Roman Republic army of Gnaeus Mallius Maximus in the Battle of Arausio, BC105

Founding of Germantown, Pennsylvania by 13 Mennonite families from Germany, 1683

The Americans and French begin the siege of Cornwallis at Yorktown, which becomes the last battle of the American Revolutionary War, 1781

Benjamin Hanks patents a self-winding clock, 1783

Louis XVI accedes to the demands of the women of Paris and returns to that city, 1789

Great Fire of Newcastle and Gateshead begins shortly after midnight, leads to 53 deaths and hundreds of injuries, 1854

The American Chess Association is organized and holds the first major US chess tournament, in NYC, 1857

The American Library Association is organized in Philadelphia, 1876

Thomas Edison shows his first motion picture, 1889

Nabisco Foods debuts its Cream of Wheat, 1893

Beatrix Van Rijk becomes the first licensed Dutch woman pilot, 1911

Opening of The Jazz Singer, the first prominent talking movie, 1927

Egypt launches a coordinated attack against Israel to reclaim land lost in the Six Day War, 1973

Massacre of students gathering at Thammasat University in Bangkok, Thailand to protest the return of ex-dictator Thanom, 1976

Pope John Paul II becomes the first pontiff to visit the White House, 1979

President of Egypt, Anwar al-Sadat is assassinated, 1981

51 Pegasi is discovered to be the first major star apart from the Sun to have a planet (and extrasolar planet) orbiting around it, 1995

Jason Lewis completes the first human-powered circumnavigation of the globe, 2007

The Messenger Spacecraft performs a second Mercury flyby, 2008

Pope Benedict XVI's butler, Paolo Gabriele, is found guilty of leaking confidential documents and sentenced to 18 months in prison, 2012

The Nobel prize for Physics is awarded to Takaaki Kajita (Japan) and Arthur McDonald (Canada) for work on neutrinos, 2015

Tens of thousands of protestors in Hong Kong march in defiance of a new ban on face masks, 2019

The Nobel Prize for Physics is awarded to Roger Penrose, Reinhard Genzel and Andrea M. Ghez for their work on black holes, 2020

The WHO recommends the first anti-malaria vaccine after the pilot program in Africa proves effective, 2021

Imprisoned Iranian human rights activist Narges Mohammadi is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for fighting against the oppression of women in Iran, 2023

Mary E. Brunkow, Fred Ramsdell, and Shimon Sakaguchi are jointly awarded the Nobel Prize in Medicine for their discoveries relating to peripheral immune tolerance, 2025

8 comments:

  1. SOAP. NOT CHEESE. I need that sign! But the pic is a terrible AI slop :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. La senyora D. també devia tenir ganes de parlar? ;-)
    Bon dimarts, Mimi!
    Petonets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them all and the outhouse one made me spew my coffee. I love your sense of humor.

    Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday. Love and hugs, my wonderful friend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful humor ~ like the 'important document' ~ sweet kitty ~ Wonder ~ do you ever hear from Carl? ~ Hugs ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Java Bean: "Ayyy, so that's where the Doctor went after he took his TARDIS and left Bermuda ..."
    Lulu: "Our Dada says the main thing he has noticed about shopping these days is that the music on the overheads is like listening to MTV in the 80s. He says he likes it a lot better than when they used to play oldies all the time. Now he says 'Oh wait' ..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ms. D,. I trust you just thought it and didn't say it!. Great funnies; the first one's spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. got a laugh from the 'Don't Mess with Me...' one
    (and can even add one to her list: whenever working with house oil-based exterior house paint, remember turpentine (or if you're out, kerosene) cleans the hands right quick)
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cream of wheat! I love it, but I don't think my kids even know what it is. As an elderly person in denial, I feel for others like me. the don't mess with me! yup.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for meandering by and letting me know you were here!
Comments on posts more than a week old are moderated.
If Blogger puts your comment in "spam jail," i'll try to get it hauled out by day's end.