Friday, September 4, 2009

Moonshine

"Shine on, shine on Harvest Moon, up in the sky..."

Okay, okay, I'll quit! Sorry to make such a racket. I don't usually sing, for this very reason.

I just happen to love this song. I remember my grandmother singing it to me. Tonight is the full moon, what some of the Native American Indians called the Full Corn Moon, because the corn is becoming ripe for the harvest. The rest of us just call it the Harvest Moon.

So tonight, just for fun, I will go outside, and, when I'm certain no one is around to have his/her ears pierced with the awful noise, I will softly sing to myself, and watch the moon for a few minutes, and enjoy the fact that it is less than 90degrees outside.

If you want to sing along, that's fine. You may sing as loudly as you wish, however.


Today is:

Animals' Day, Curacao

Anthracite Coal Miners Day

Full Corn Moon

Glass Day

Looking For the Boundaries, Cuchumatan Indians, Guatemala Highlands

National Macadamia Nut Day

Newspaper Carrier Day

St. Boniface I's Day

St. Rose of Viterbo's Day (patron of florists)


Birthdays Today:

Beyonce Knowles, 1981
Mitzi Gaynor, 1930
Dick York, 1928
Paul Harvey, 1918
Henry Ford II, 1917
Richard Wright, 1908
Nigel Bruce, 1895
François-René, vicomte de Chateaubriand, 1768


Today in History:

Romulus Augustulus, the last Roman emperor in the West, is formally deposed, 476
Edmund Halley, English astronomer, first observes the comet that now bears his name, 1682
The city of Los Angeles is founded in Bahia de las Fumas (Valley of Smokes), 1781
Robert Fulton begins operating his steamboat, 1807
Barney Flahery, age 10, is hired to be the first newsboy, by the NY Sun, 1833
The last major US-Indian war ends with the surrender of Apache Chief Geronimo, 1886
George Eastman patents the first roll-film cameral and registers the trademark name "Kodak", 1888
Beatrix Potter first tells the story of Peter Rabbit, 1893
Comic strip "Beetle Bailey" first appears, 1950

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for meandering by and letting me know you were here!
Comments on posts more than a week old are moderated.
If Blogger puts your comment in "spam jail," i'll try to get it hauled out by day's end.