Wednesday, August 21, 2019

What You Don't Expect to Find When Dusting a Client's Living Room (Wordless Wednesday) and Words for Wednesday

(Because some people like Blogger and some like WordPress, i am putting the same content at both.  If you would prefer to read this on the other site, it is linked here.) 


***********************************




Linking up with Wordless Wednesday and Sandee at Comedy Plus.     










***********************************




Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and has become a moveable feast of word or picture or music prompts that encourages us to write stories, poems, or whatever strikes our fancy.    

This month, the prompts are being provided by River at Drifting Through Life.    

This week's prompts are:

1. peril
2. coral
3. sure
4. rocky
5. lampshades
6. furious immobility

and a photo from the time she walked this trail:




No way was I going to spend the rest of my life in FURIOUS IMMOBILITY.  That's what I told the doctors, that's what I told myself, that's what I told anyone who would listen.

The last thing I remembered from that evening was tripping over the cords, the lamps falling with me, and, since the whole thing seemed to be in slow motion, thinking how ridiculous I was going to look with all of those painted LAMPSHADES on me when all of it, including me, landed.

They were silly, a CORAL color, with decoupaged fish on them.

Weird last thing to remember before your life is forever changed, isn't it.

Anyway, when I woke up in the hospital, the doctors told me they were SURE my injuries meant I wouldn't walk again.

They were wrong, and I proved it.

It was a ROCKY start.  They didn't want to push me as much as I wanted them to.  When I told them I was going to hike again, was going to go sit on that bench again, they said I was putting my recovery in PERIL.

My buddy took a picture of me up there to prove it.  I'm back, and I may not be able to do everything I did before, but I'm back and I'm going to be okay.


***********************************


Today is:

Air Guitar World Championships -- Oulu, Finland (through Friday; "The purpose of the Air Guitar World Championships is to promote world peace.")  

American Quilter's Society Quilt Exposition -- Grand Rapids, MI, US (their largest show; through Saturday)

Aquino Day -- Philippines

Buhe -- Ethiopian Orthodox Church (Christian remembrance of the Transfiguration.)

Cadillac Day -- the first Caddy was built this day in 1902

Consualia -- Ancient Roman Calendar (festival of Consus, god of grain and silos)

Corn Palace Festival -- Mitchell, SD, US (harvest celebration and redecoration of the world's only Corn Palace; through Sunday)

Crazy Day -- go crazy, in honor of Patsy Cline recording Willie Nelson's song Crazy on this date in 1961

Fete de la Jeunesse -- Morocco; Western Sahara (Youth Day, on the Birthday of HM Mohammed VI)

Gospel Day -- Kosrae, Micronesia

National Medical Dosimetrist's Day -- American Association of Medical Dosimetrists (medical radiation safety experts)    

National Pecan Torte Day

National Senior Citizens Day -- US

National Spumoni Day

Poet's Day -- a day to celebrate the poet in you, and share special thoughts about poets and poetry

Senior Citizens Day -- US (by Presidential proclamation in 1988)

St. Pius X's Day (Patron of first communicants, pilgrims; Des Moines, Iowa, US; Great Falls-Billings, Montana, US; Kottoyam, India; Santa Lucija, Malta; Springfield-Cape Girardeau, MO, US; Zamboanga, Philippines)

Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration -- Shelbyville, TN, US (an 11-day festival celebrating the world famous Tennessee Walking Horse and crowning this year's World Grand Champion)


Anniversaries Today

Seminole Tribe of Native Americans is legally established and recognized, 1957
Hawai'i becomes the 50th US state, 1959


Birthdays Today

Ozma, Queen of Oz, year unconfirmed
Hayden Panettiere, 1989
Usain Bolt, 1986
Brody Jenner, 1983
Alicia Witt, 1975
James Robert "Jim" McMahon, 1959
Steve Case, 1958
Kim Cattrall, 1956
Jackie DeShannon, 1944
Peter Weir, 1944
Clarence Williams III, 1939
Kenny Rogers, 1938
Wilt Chamberlain, 1936
Melvin Van Peebles, 1932
Shimon Peres, 1923
Christopher Robin Milne, 1920
Friz Freleng, 1906
Count Basie, 1904
Aubrey Vincent Beardsley, 1872
William Murdoch, 1754
Francis de Sales, 1567


Debuting/Premiering Today:

"La Cage Aux Folles"(Musical), 1983


Today in History

Minamoto Yoritomo becomes Seii Tai Shogun and therefore de facto ruler of Japan, 1192
Pueblo Indians capture Santa Fe from Spanish during the Pueblo Revolt, 1680
James Cook formally claims eastern Australia for Great Britain, naming it New South Wales, 1770
The Nat Turner slave revolt in Virginia leaves 55 dead, 1831
Mighty Casey (Dan Casey) is struck out! In a game against the N.Y. Giants, 1887
William S Burroghs patents the adding machine, 1888
Oldsmobile is incorporated as a division of General Motors Corp., 1897
Arthur Rose Eldred becomes the first Boy Scout to earn the rank of Eagle Scout, 1912
Physicist Harry K. Daghlian, Jr. is fatally irradiated in a criticality incident during an experiment with the Demon core at Los Alamos National Laboratory, 1945
James Anderson, Jr., posthumously receives the first Medal of Honor to be awarded to an African American U.S. Marine, 1968
Philippine opposition leader Benigno Aquino, Jr. is assassinated at the Manila International Airport, 1983
Carbon dioxide gas erupts from volcanic Lake Nyos in Cameroon, killing up to 1,800 people within a 20-kilometer range, 1986
Coup attempt against Mikhail Gorbachev collapses, 1991
The Red Cross announces the famine in Tajikistan and calls for international aid there and in Uzbekistan, 2001
Hurricane Dean becomes the first storm to make landfall as a Catagory 5 since Hurricane Andrew, 2007
After 108 years, a "message in a bottle" put in the sea by the UK Marine Biological Association is announced found on a beach in Amrum, Germany, 2015
Big Ben, the bell in London's parliament clock, chimes for the last time before a four-year restoration process for its tower starts, 2017

13 comments:

  1. Hooray for determination. Love your take on River's prompts.
    And no, I certainly wouldn't expect a box of cremains when I came to clean someone's home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the story of how determination could prove the doctors wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That photo is rather dismal! I see today is Senior's Day in the US. I think we need to give our Gramma some extra love today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good use of the words, messymimi.

    I loved Hayden Panettiere in "Nashville". I loved that series!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that Mary Lou doesn't leave my remains out. I should be placed in the mausoleum. Ouch! have a great day Mimi.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen that before many years ago. It is what it is.

    Love your story. Well done and you're a whiz at stringing a story together.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my what a find while cleaning. Great story too! Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Remains? So that's where Jimmy Hoffa went.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story! Was it worse finding the remains or the way they were casually set there?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job on the story. And yikes on the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should have taken the remains on your walk and scattered them u there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post ~ and well ashes are part of life ~ don't usually find them when cleaning ~

    Happy Day to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for meandering by and letting me know you were here!
Comments on posts more than a week old are moderated.
If Blogger puts your comment in "spam jail," i'll try to get it hauled out by day's end.