Friday, May 27, 2022

Morning Mayhem (Feline Friday), Friendly Fill-Ins and It's a Wonder (Monthly Poetry Group)

 ***********************************






Feline Friday was started by Steve, The Burnt Food Dude, and i'm going to believe it's because he likes cats.

He has handed hosting duties off to Sandee, of Comedy Plus, and it's simple to join, just follow the link to Sandee's page for the rules and the code.


The cats were being good one morning so i gave them the 'nip, and the boys had a small tussle.


















***********************************






Friendly Fill-Ins are easy to do. There are four statements: the first two statements are provided by Ellen of 15AndMeowing, and the final two are offered by Lorianne The Menagerie Mom of Four-Legged Furballs. They try to make sure the statements will be fun to both answer and share. The linky will be posted at or about 12:00 AM on Friday. Please head over to one of their sites, link up, and share your thoughts!      


Here are this week's statements with my responses underlined:



1. I wouldn't mind being stuck in an elevator with _________.


2. Now that the formula shortage is fixed, I wish something could be done about the _________ shortage.


3. If I had to sum up my life in one sentence, it would read as follows: _________. 


4. _________ is an awkward situation in which I once found myself.



1. I wouldn't mind being stuck in an elevator with   Jesus.  After all, it would take Him to keep me calm if such a thing happened to me.


2. Now that the formula shortage is fixed, I wish something could be done about the   common courtesy  shortage.


3. If I had to sum up my life in one sentence, it would read as follows:   You messed it, she tried to clean it. 


4. Having a credit card declined, taken away and cut up  is an awkward situation in which I once found myself.  (It wasn't my fault, either.  Back in the day of the dinosaur, boys and girls, the credit card companies would print a little booklet list of card numbers that were to be declined and send a copy to each vendor, updating on a regular basis.  When you presented your card, the vendor looked up your number and if your card number was in that little booklet, your card was declined, they cut it and sent it back to the company, and you had to find another way to pay.  Sometimes, no matter how hard the credit card companies tried, they'd print a wrong number, and that happened to me.)



***********************************





It's time for the Monthly Poetry Group, hosted by Karen at Baking in a Tornado.  Participants write a poem about a topic one of us chose.  This month, Diane chose Underwear.  Be sure to go check out all the poems.





I'm not sure how I got here

To be born is what I mean,

Now let me explain it further

Before you think me very green.


Oh, I understand the process,

When two people love each other

They make a little whoopee,

Out pops sister or brother.


Yes, there is the length of time

Spent growing all within,

Grandparents each wearing

Such a happy little grin.


No, that is not the wonder,

Though a wonder it truly be,

I have a different wonder

That just occurred to me.


I think it a wonder and lucky that

I got to here from there,

I've seen both of my parents

In only their underwear!


(This is not my joke.  My brother, the children's Uncle P, who died of Covid last year, was a stand-up comedian and used to say, "I realize I'm lucky to have been born.  I've seen both my parents in their underwear."  This is in his memory because he was so funny, i wanted to turn it into rhyme.)



The other participants:


Karen at Baking in a Tornado     

Diane at On the Border     




***********************************


To those of you who pray, please remember #1 Son, he is having surgery on a torn meniscus and cartilage today.  Thank you! 


***********************************



Today is:


Abolition Day -- Guadeloupe; Saint Martin


Buttercup Day -- an internet holiday that just sounds fun


Cellophane Tape Day -- patented this date in 1930


Children's Day -- Nigeria (a school holiday)


Don't Fry Day -- another day to raise awareness of the need for sun protection through the summer    


FindleFritter's Stoat-Wheedling Event -- Fairy Calendar


Heat Awareness Safety Day -- US (your guv'mint at work, and actually doing something right that you really should pay heed to)  


Mother's Day -- Bolivia


National Death Busters Day -- US, because the upcoming Memorial Day weekend in the US is the most dangerous for driving; be careful out there!


National Grape Popsicle Day


National Wig Out Day -- US (on the Friday before Memorial Day, don your wig and your alter ego and have fun!  there are events around the country)    


Pop-up Toaster Day -- Charles Strite applied for his patent on the first pop-up toaster on this day in 1919


St. Augustine of Canterbury's Day (Roman Catholic Church observance; Patron of England)


St. Melangell's Day (Patron of hares)


Sun Screen Protection Day -- an annual, and unsponsored, reminder to use that SPF protection, every day!


Throw the B*st@rds Out Day -- originally directed at politicians, (and if you want to do that, too, great!), and celebrated on various days on various sites, but whomever is making your life miserable, toss them out!  or at least, toss them out of your thoughts for today.




Birthdays Today:


Chris Colfer, 1990

André Benjamin, 1975

Jamie Oliver, 1975

Jack McBrayer, 1973

Joseph Fiennes, 1970

Jeremy Mayfield, 1969

Todd Bridges, 1965

Pat Cash, 1965

Adam Carolla, 1964

Peri Gilpin, 1961

Richard Schiff, 1955

Bruce Weitz, 1943

Louis Gossett, Jr., 1936

Ramsey Lewis, 1935

Lee Meriwether, 1935

John Barth, 1930

Henry Kissinger, 1923

Christopher Lee, 1922

Herman Wouk, 1915

Sam Snead, 1912

Hubert H. Humphrey, 1911

Vincent Price, 1911

Dolores Hope, 1909

Rachel Louise Carson, 1907

Dashiell Hammett, 1894

Isadora Duncan, 1878

Arnold Bennett, 1867

Wild Bill Hickock, 1837

Julia Ward Howe, 1819

Amelia Bloomer, 1818

Cornelius Vanderbilt, 1794



Debuting/Premiering Today


From Russia With Love(Film). 1964

The Three Little Pigs(Disney animated short), 1933



Today in History:


Habeaus Corpus Act, codifying how the writ of habeaus corpus is to be used, passes in UK, 1679

Peter the Great founds St. Petersburg, 1703

In Bolivia, the Battle of La Coronilla, in which the women from Cochabamba  fight against the Spanish army, 1812

In Canada, American forces capture Fort George, 1813

Bubonic plague breaks out in San Francisco, California, 1907

The NC-4 aircraft arrives in Lisbon after completing the first transatlantic flight, 1919

The 1,046 feet (319 m) Chrysler Building in New York City, the tallest man-made structure at the time, opens to the public, 1930

Richard Gurley Drew receives a patent for his adhesive tape, later manufactured by 3M as Scotch tape, 1930

The Walt Disney Company releases the cartoon  The Three Little Pigs, with its hit song "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?", 1933

In California, the Golden Gate Bridge opens to pedestrian traffic, , 1937

Toronto's CHUM-AM, (1050 kHz) becomes Canada's first radio station to broadcast only top 40 Rock n' Roll music format, 1957

Australians vote in favor of a constitutional referendum granting the Australian government the power to make laws to benefit Indigenous Australians and to count them in the national census, 1967

In Culpeper, Virginia, actor Christopher Reeve is paralyzed from the neck down after falling from his horse in a riding competition, 1995

Russian President Boris Yeltsin meets with Chechnyan rebels for the first time and negotiates a cease-fire, 1996

The International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague, Netherlands indicts Slobodan Milosevic and four others for war crimes and crimes against humanity, 1999

The May 2006 Java earthquake strikes at 5:53:58 AM local time (22:53:58 UTC May 26) devastating Bantul and the city of Yogyakarta killing over 6,600, 2006

Scientists in Canada bring 400 year-old bryophyte specimens left behind by retreating glaciers during the Ice Age back to life, 2013

The director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) Christine Lagarde calls for "tougher regulation and tighter supervision" of the banking sector, 2014

Commercial space company SpaceX is approved as a contractor to the U.S. military for satellite launches, 2015

A research team from University of York publish a study based on 711 samples from 72 countries that shows the world's rivers are widely contaminated with antibiotics, especially in Africa and Asia, 2019

15 comments:

  1. I do hope that your credit card company apologised when they realised their mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your poem. A sweet memory of Uncle P. Pray that your #1 son's surgery will go smoothly and on the road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would have been embarrassing with the credit card. similar happened to me on a cruise. We had friends with us and I got a round of drinks to put on our account. The waiter came back and said in front of everybody that my card was invalid. Our friends put the drinks on their account and next morning I went to the pursers desk to see what was going on and rang our bank. It turned out that one number had been put in incorrectly so was quickly put right. Nowadays it is all done on the app so I know the numbers are right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My credit card was declined at the hairdresser. I had no other way to pay. I offered to work for them for an hour. I sat at the cash desk cutting other peoples' credit cards.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers for number 1 son underway.
    Your answer to the first Feline Friday is the only possible, any other person would just find me gibering ;) I HAVE been stuck, thank you very much, and more than once!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha love it a nip tussle

    I hope your son's procedure all goes well 👍

    Have a fill-intastic weekend 👍

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely tribute to Uncle P. My thoughts are with #1 Son.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the humor in your poem and the tribute that it is,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your fill-ins and love your poem. Okay the kitties are adorable too. So precious.

    Thank you for joining the Feline Friday Blog Hop.

    Have a purrfect Feline Friday and weekend. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry I forgot to send tons of prayers for your sons surgery today. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see all your kitties together. Thank you for participating in the fill-ins, great answers- especially #1.
    I like your poem too. Have a wonderful weekend. XO.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy kitties!
    I think I'd like to be on the elevator as well!
    Brilliant poem! I think I would have liked your brother very much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A NipFest can be fun! Those were good answers too and quite the good poem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable photos of the 'fur boys' ~ sweet poem and great 'fill-ins' ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is quite the photo op of your nipped kitties! Great fill-ins- especially #3! Darling poem and I hope all has gone 100% perfect for #1 son! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for meandering by and letting me know you were here!
Comments on posts more than a week old are moderated.
If Blogger puts your comment in "spam jail," i'll try to get it hauled out by day's end.