Saturday, March 23, 2019

Just One Morning (Ten Things of Thankful)

(Because some people like Blogger and some like WordPress, i am putting the same content at both.  If you would prefer to read this on the other site, it is linked here.)


***********************************




This week was tough, and by Friday morning the old depression was wanting to knock at the door.

How to keep it at bay?  A challenge -- can i find enough to be thankful for that i can do a whole Ten Things post just on one morning?  It doesn't take the problems away, but it puts them in perspective.

Lunceford the Land Yacht started and the heater worked to clear the windows.

Everyone made it to Bible study.

We studied and we talked and laughed a lot.

Derek the Sexton told me he and his sweetheart, Ms. Patty, were getting married that very day!  A small ceremony right there at the church with just one of the pastors and two witnesses.  That in itself made my morning, hopeless romantic that i am.

Traffic mostly cooperated (meaning we only stopped on the freeway twice).

After i picked Sweetie up to head to work, we had a few minutes to stop at Trader Joe's so he could get his beloved soy sauce.  There was money in the account to get it, and he went in so i wouldn't go and get all glassy eyed wanting to get more stuff.  (That place is dangerous!)

Ms. GA was at the house when we got there, and Mr. BA was there by the time we left, so i didn't have to go dig out the hidden key.

We got the whole place done in 2 1/2 hours!

The money to make the payment on the car repair was already in my pocket to give Sweetie so he could drop it off after he left me at the second job.

There was plenty of time for me to get to the second job and i even beat Ms. G there, so i got to sit and relax on a beautiful, sunny morning while waiting for her.

There, i knew i could, ten things in just one morning.  It just proves, there's always something, and that reminds me of what i heard on the radio this morning.  Instead of saying, "I'll be happy when...," substitute, "I'm so happy I get to ... now."  It prevents us from putting off life waiting for something specific to happen.


Please join us and our gracious and wonderful hostess Kristi from ThankfulMe, write up your own list and link up to Ten Things of Thankful.  



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

***********************************


Today is:

All-Northwest Barbershop Quartet Contest -- Forest Grove, OR, US (quartets from throughouth the Pacific Northwest compete in an 1890s setting)

Ancient Roman Calendar Celebrations on this date
    Day of Mouring -- leading up to the festival for Hilaria
    Invocation Day of Mars and Saturn
    Tubilustrium -- Ancient Roman Calendar (ceremony to purify the trumpets used in sacred ceremonies)

Cuddly Kitten Day -- because the cats can't let the dogs get all the attention

Dandelion Dance -- Fairy Calendar

Daylight Saving Time begins -- Palestinian Territories

Day of Hungarian-Polish Friendship -- Hungary and Poland

Day of the Sea -- Bolivia (Dia del Mar)

Liberty Day -- today in 1775, Patrick Henry said, “I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death.”

Lieldienas -- Ancient Latvian Calendar ("Big Days" or "Long Days", four day celebration of spring, each day devoted to a different deity)

Maple Syrup Saturday -- Appleton, WI, US (please note that, starting now, almost every Saturday has a maple syrup festival or demonstration somewhere in Canada or the US where maple syrup is produced)

National Chia Day

National Chip and Dip Day

National Melba Toast Day

National Puppy Day -- encouraging you to adopt a shelter pup today   

Near Miss Day -- commemorates the mountain sized asteroid that was a near miss on this day in 1989

Rally for Decency Day -- Commemorates the first Rally for Decency, prompted on this day in 1969 by Jim Morrison

Republic Day -- Pakistan

St. Turibius de Mongrovejo's Day (Patron of Latin American bishops, native rights; Peru)

Toast Day -- supposedly for the invention of Melba toast; a recent article says it takes 6 steps to toast bread "right"; i say if you can't put bread in the toaster and butter it when it comes out and need long sets of instructions, you shouldn't be let loose in society!

World Meteorological Day -- UN


Anniversaries Today:

The University of California is founded in Oakland, California, 1868


Birthdays Today:

Michelle Monaghan, 1976
Keri Russell, 1976
Richard Grieco, 1965
Amanda Plummer, 1957
Chaka Khan, 1953
Louie Anderson, 1953
Roger Bannister, 1929
Wernher Von Braun, 1912
Akira Kurosawa, 1910
Joan Crawford, 1905


Debuting/Premiering Today:

"The Bold and the Beautiful"(TV), 1987
"Detective Story"(Play), 1950
"Truth or Consequences"(Radio), 1940
"Messiah"(Handel oratorio), 1743


Today in History:

Eighteenth recorded perihelion passage of Halley's Comet. 1066
The first dated edition of Maimonides "Mishna Torah" published, 1490
George Frideric Handel's oratorio "Messiah" premieres in London, 1743
Patrick Henry delivers his famous speech – "Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" – at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia, 1775
After traveling through the Louisiana Purchase and reaching the Pacific Ocean, explorers Lewis and Clark and their "Corps of Discovery" begin their arduous journey home, 1806
Elisha Otis's first elevator is installed at 488 Broadway New York City, 1857
The Boers and Britain sign a peace accord that ends the First Boer War, 1881
President Benjamin Harrison opens Oklahoma to white settlement starting on April 22, starting a Land Run, 1889
The Wright Brothers apply for a patent on their invention of one of the first successful airplanes, 1903
Pakistan becomes the first Islamic republic in the world, 1956
NASA launches Gemini 3, the United States' first two-man space flight (crew: Gus Grissom and John Young), 1965
Archbishop Óscar Romero of El Salvador gives his famous speech appealing to men of the El Salvadoran armed forces to stop killing the Salvadorans, 1980
Taiwan holds its first direct elections and chooses Lee Teng-hui as President, 1996
The Russian Mir space station is disposed of, breaking up in the atmosphere before falling into the southern Pacific Ocean near Fiji, 2001
In Tokyo, the Metropolitan Government Bureau of Waterworks reports that radioactive iodine in city tap water is two times the recommended level for infants, 2011
GPR investigation of Shakespeare's tomb at Holy Trinity Church in Stratford concludes the Bard's skull probably has been stolen, 2016

17 comments:

  1. You have a thankful heart. There are so many thing to be thankful for. Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tubilustrium! You made my morning brigther by posting that word. I am thankful for blogs like yours making me smile broadly in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "hello darkness, my old friend..." as the lyrics go. Glad you didn't open the door.
    An effective strategy, finding the thankfuls because you are dead on. It is about perspective.
    Wonderful post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I often lament the fact that I have to travel a fairly long way to get to a Trader Joe's... I'm also kind of glad I can't get there easily. I hang onto a lot more money having it at a safe distance...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo to you for seeing the positive despite feeling down ~ it is not easy to do ~ wishing you well ~

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Lou doesn't like it when I go to Costco with her. She knows that the bill will go up because I'll get things that she thinks that we don't need but I do. That's OK, I get them because she loves me. LOL See ya Mimi.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are always things to be thankful for. Always, we just need to take the time as you did here. It's hard when there are negative things always pulling at you, like the cars, traffic, workload and the list goes on. It's the good things we need to focus on.

    Have a blessed day and weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m so sorry depression is trying to take over, but you did great on creating a gratitude list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy your list of thankfuls. You make me realize how much there is to be thankful for in this world. Trader Joe's is dangerous :) And I love walking through Whole Foods for cheese samples :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trader Joe's is a trap, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad you were able to banish the blues somewhat by thinking of the ten good things. That's such a handy thing to do. I remember Trader Joes in the early days, last time I was in the US I found it quite changed. But still full of yummy stuff ! I can't help wondering what happens on Chia Day! Do you know? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. When Lizzi started this blog hop years ago, she did it for the very purpose of keeping depression in check. I'm sorry you had a hard week, but I'm glad that your participation in the TToT helped you.

    Your comment about Lunceford the Land Yacht reminded me of the first car John and I purchased together. My input on which car we would get was that it have seatbelts and a working heater. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on posting to the TToT. It is a great way to help one rise above depressing thoughts.
    I love barbershop quartet singing. I haven't attended a barbershop quartet concert in a long time. I think I need to do that again.
    There are some stores that have so many enticing products that it makes it difficult to just buy what is on the list.:-/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you.
    (Surely the single greatest benefit of the internet is the opportunity to know other clarks. And, for us, when we employ the magic of identification, we can see other (clarks) go through low points and come out again. (Identification, for me, simply means I know on a sub-rational level that I can weather such storms.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I considered doing a similar post recently. Sometimes life feels hard. I'm glad you were able to find 10 things to be grateful for and I hope things get better for you soon. <3.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Trader Joe's makes me weak in the knees...I go there every couple of weeks and love it! Great 10!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for meandering by and letting me know you were here!
Comments on posts more than a week old are moderated.
If Blogger puts your comment in "spam jail," i'll try to get it hauled out by day's end.