Thursday, August 18, 2022

Someone Would Know (Six Sentence Story), Good Fences, Angel Sammy's Poetry Day, and Brian's Thankful Thursday

 ***********************************






What is it about cleaning houses and running into money?


Change i understand, i find it everywhere, and the first thing i do at any place i'm going to clean is find where they keep the spare change and make sure anything i find goes in there (except with Carl, that's a story for another day).


Last week at Ms. SE's house i found this



in this




and texted her telling her i left it here (it was her son's, he'd lost it and they'd looked everywhere except the dirty laundry).




Yesterday, it was Ms. G, she'd set down some socks and money on top of a dresser in the spare room and forgotten it was there, so i pointed it out to her, and she was quite relieved to see it.


Sometimes i wonder if The A-mighty doesn't put me in this position just to remind of how and why He wants me to be honest in all of my dealings with clients, giving good work for the pay, doing things i'd rather not do because i was asked to as part of the job, and even turning in money i could easily take and no one would know.


But that's the kicker, isn't it, not just that it's a sin, which it is, but that someone would know, and that someone is me, and i couldn't live with that.



Linking up with Denise at Girlie On The Edge Blog, where she hosts Six Sentence Stories, and the cue is Sin.      





***********************************



While Good Fences Around the World seems to have gone the way of the dodo bird, i still enjoy looking for and posting interesting fences, so i will!





***********************************






It's Angel Sammy's Poetry Day This week's image and my two poems (i got carried away this week):    




Tell you what I'm going to do,

If I ever get back to shore,

I'll find a landlubber job, and

I'll nail my feet to the floor!


*******


I'd just signed up with the Army,

They were shipping me "over there,"

We were in a huge Naval convoy,

In the middle of who knows where.


The enemy subs were attacking,

Torpedo fire was exchanged,

I couldn't believe I was out here,

Right within enemy range.


Our ship was carrying fuel

For much of the whole convoy,

If we'd gotten a direct hit,

All I can say is, whoo boy!


The ship in front of ours took a hit,

And so did the one right behind,

As I manned my position I wondered,

If I was going to lose my mind.


We didn't get hit that day,

We made it to the shore,

I did a two-year tour,

and later I did two more.


Many years after I wanted

To take my beautiful wife,

Over to France where I'd been,

We'd have the time of our life.


As we were planning, she asked me,

"Are we going by boat or by plane?"

And I said we'd fly 'cause "I never

want to see that much water again!"


(This poem is based on Ms. PA's story of her husband's service during WWII.  He really did tell her this, including that he never wanted to be surrounded by that much water again.)



***********************************






Brian of Brian's Home hosts the Thankful Thursday Blog Hop.   It's time to share something for which i am thankful.  


Today i am thankful Becca's mom, Ms. A, is feeling better, she had Covid last week and i didn't get to take Becca to church.  We're going to make up for it this week!






***********************************



Today is:


Bad Poetry Day -- Wellcat Holidays suggests you get back at your high school English teacher for making you read all that "good" poetry; get together with friends, write some truly awful stuff, and mail it to him/her!


Krishna Janmashtami -- Hindu (birth of Lord Krishna)


Long Tan Day a/k/a Vietnam Veterans Day -- Australia


Mail Order Catalog Day -- the first one was published by Montgomery Ward this day in 1872, and was only one page (Do yourself a favor and opt out of the doggone things, save a few trees: www.catalogchoice.org )


National Ice Cream Pie Day


National Science Day -- Thailand


National Soft Ice Cream Day


Serendipity Day -- and it's here serendipitously! begun by writer Madeleine Kay, it's the day to step out of routine, do something you've always wanted to do, and see what happens


St. Agapitus' Day (Patron of Palestrina, Italy; against colic)


St. Helena's Day (Mother of Constantine the Great; Patron of archaeologists, converts, difficult marriages, divorced people, dyers, empresses, nail smiths, needle makers; Birkirkara, Malta; Helena, MT, US; against fire and thunder)


Toge-Pogling Season begins -- Fairy Calendar (Toges are normally pogled in groups of five or six, depending upon the size and strength of the individual Toge)



Birthdays Today:


Andy Samberg, 1978

Malcolm-Jamal Warner, 1970

Christian Slater, 1969

Edward Norton, 1969

Felipe Calderón Hinojosa, 1962

Madeleine Stowe, 1958

Patrick Swayze, 1952

Elayne Boosler, 1952

Martin Mull, 1943

Robert Redford, 1936

Roberto Clemente Walker, 1934

Roman Polanski, 1933

Luc Montagnier, 1932

Rosalynn Carter, 1927

Shelley Winters, 1920

Greta Garbo, 1905

Max Factor, 1904

Meriwether Lewis, 1774

Virginia Dare, 1587 (first English child born in the Americas)



Debuting/Premiering Today:


"Private Lives"(Play), 1930

"Iphigénie"(Racine's dramatic tragedy), 1674



Today in History:


Founding of the oldest known Roman temple to Venus, BC293

Rome is occupied and plundered by Visigoths under King Alarik I, 410

Death of Genghis Khan (fell from his horse), 1227

A Portuguese ship drifts ashore in the Japanese province of Higo, 1541

The Boston, Massachusetts Evening Post begins publishing, 1735

Eruption of Mt. Vesuvius, 1834

Pierre Janssan discovers helium, 1868

German engineer Karl Jatho allegedly flies his self-made, motored gliding airplane four months before the first flight of the Wright Brothers, 1903.

Mayor of Tokyo Yukio Ozaki presents Washington, D.C. with 2,000 cherry trees, which President Taft decides to plant near the Potomac River, 1909

A Great Fire in Thessaloniki, Greece destroys 32% of the city leaving 70,000 individuals homeless, 1917

19th US Amendment ratified (gives women the vote), 1920

Premier of The Wizard of Oz, 1939

The first commercially produced oral contraceptives are marketed, 1960

James Meredith becomes the first black person to graduate from the University of Mississippi, 1963

Steve Biko is arrested at a police roadblock under the Terrorism Act No 83 of 1967 in King William's Town, South Africa. He would later die of the injuries sustained during this arrest bringing attention to South Africa's apartheid policies, 1977

Massive power blackout hits the Indonesian island of Java, affecting almost 100 million people, 2005

Columbia's Chiribiquete National Park expands to 3 million hectares from 1.2 million hectares, becoming one of the Amazon's largest protected zones, 2013

Civilian researchers led by Paul Allen re-discover the USS Indianapolis 18,000 feet below the Pacific surface, 72 years after it was sunk by Japanese torpedoes, 2017

Food matter found in the 3,200-year-old tomb of Ptahmes, an official of Memphis, Egypt, is confirmed to be cheese, the oldest evidence yet of cheesemaking, 2018

25 comments:

  1. I love your integrity - and your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your stories. Good to be honest so that you will enjoy good sleep every night without being haunted by guilt. Good to text that the money is found and inform where it has been placed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom says those temptations are always interesting. They just pop up and you know what is right from wrong but the temptation still is there. It helps to keep one on the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, golly, I love the idea of Bad Poetry Day! I shall celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great six, and I really like the poems, especially the 4-liner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful day Mimi.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being honest is a good thing indeed. It's not our money, it's their money. No surprise to me.

    Love both your poems. I love being out on the water, but not during a war.

    Have a fabulous Thankful Thursday, my friend. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good story, we wouldn't keep someone else's money either. Terrific poems and a darn good thankful. Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honesty is the best policy, I like looking at myself in the mirror and not cringing, well I cringe at the newest wrinkle or gray hair - LOL! I loved hearing about Mrs. P's husband's story, what a brave and wonderful generation that was.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a wonderful lady through and through ~ lovely post, photos, story and fence ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great poem, interesting story. I wish you could come to my house and find me some money. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. As hubby always says: Honesty is better for the soul and easier on your memory banks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. good six, good fence, and all I write is bad poetry, so thisis my day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Honesty IS the best policy- I would not be able to take someones money. Super great post- especially the two poems!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. Why am I anonymous here? What are you not telling me, Mimi? Am I banned forever from your rambling linear blog?

      Delete
  16. I LOVE your 6 sentence story! I too would not be able to live with myself. I love the fence and your poem ROCKS! We hope you have a marvelously happy week! Purrs Marv and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your 6 sentence stories always amaze me. You are so good at them! Love your poems, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think I could live with myself, either, if I knew I had stolen from clients. I feel like I would get caught for sure anyway! Loved your poems. You really impress me with these posts of multiple topics and memes. Wish I could have had ice cream pie today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm the same, I can't take any money I find lying around. Even when cleaning at my son's home, where I'd find loose coins in every room, I would collect them all into a jar and when I finished cleaning I would count them and exchange them for notes which I would put in the jar right in front of his TV so he'd be sure to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's all to do with love, isn't it? Good story, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A fine Six, Mimi.
    Your poetry is always a treat.
    I imagine Becca is as excited as you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mimi what wonderful poems! Loved your shortie about THE WAVE but also the long one which was quite cute. You outdid yourself my friend!

    Hugs, Pam and Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved your six! Spare change in pant pockets is a common phenomenon in my home.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for meandering by and letting me know you were here!
Comments on posts more than a week old are moderated.
If Blogger puts your comment in "spam jail," i'll try to get it hauled out by day's end.