Friday, November 20, 2009

Peace

Please note that I try to scan my holiday listings for accuracy, and check history facts before I list them here.

Sometimes I find conflicting information, and I search to resolve it as best I can.

I do err, I'm sure, and if someone points out errors, I will gladly correct them.

With that being said, I only have two things to say about the history fact I found that says the Arabs once blamed water shortages on Jews for making wine.

First, what haven't the Jews been blamed for, and in every generation? It's a shame, that's what that is. No people group or society is perfect, but there is no way they are to blame for everything, nor even most of the things of which they have been accused.

Second, I once heard someone say, in an ole country boy manner, "Them people in that part of the world 've bin fighting since Cain and Abel, what makes them think that ennything's gonna change now?" I am sad to have to agree.

From my Bible reading last night, "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee." Psalm 122:6.



As for name your PC day, is that part of the absurdity? I'd have to call mine "Spare Parts"! LOL


Today is:

Absurdity Day

African Industrialization Day (UN)

Beautiful Day -- Fairy Calendar

Fast for an Abundant World Harvest

Independence Day, Zaire

Name Your PC Day

National Peanut Butter Fudge Day

Praetextatus and Paulina's Day (Guardians of the Eleusinian Mysteries)

Revolution Day, Mexico

St. Edmund the Martyr's Day (patron against plagues)

Writing On the Wall Day


Birthdays Today:

Bo Derek, 1956
Duane Allman, 1946
Veronica Hamal, 1943
Joe Biden, 1942
Dick Smothers, 1939
Richard Dawson, 1932
Estelle Parsons, 1927
Kaye Ballard, 1926
Robert F. Kennedy, 1925
Alistair Cooke, 1908
Edwin Hubble, 1889
Peregrine White, 1620 (born on the Mayflower)
Maximinus, Roman Emperor, 270


Today in History:

Bögü, Khan of the Uyghurs, conquers Lo-Yang, capital of the Chinese Empire, 762
Arabs attribute shortage of water in Jerusalem to Jews making wine, 1521
Peter Miniut and the first Swedish immigrants to Delaware sail from Sweden, 1637
Zumbi, the last leader of the Quilombo dos Palmares of Brazil, is executed, 1695
New Jersey becomes the first state to ratify the US Bill of Rights, 1789
Curacao's government forbids slave work on Sunday, 1795
Howard University is founded in Washington, D.C., 1866
US State Department starts requiring photographs for passports, 1914
1st municipally owned airport in US opens, in Tucson Az, 1919

2 comments:

  1. Good Evening, I have to giggle at your computer name. I like to refer to mine as kerosene operated it is so slow!

    You take good care and feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only think of one way to celebrate National Peanut Butter Fudge Day...

    :)

    Thanks for alerting me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for meandering by and letting me know you were here!
Comments on posts more than a week old are moderated.
If Blogger puts your comment in "spam jail," i'll try to get it hauled out by day's end.